Syslog and Panic errors
Ron
2008-01-18 21:31:20 UTC
Hi, I am new to UNIX so this may be a question that you have seen numerous
times.

I am running SCO-UNIX 5.02 on a Compaq Proliant 5000 sever. We are we are
running a business application on Informix. Fred is the name we gave our
server.

The server has "Panicked" a couple of times, but the dump is not
complete(ran out of space for the dump, but plenty of space on server in
each partition.

The last line on the screen before the "press any key to restart" is

"Panic Lock Timeout Lock=00000103, owner=F01C99BF

Could someone assist in deciphering this message and the one below from the
Syslog before the Panic.

I am getting the following message in the Syslog

Jan 15 11:22:10 fred lpd[332]: accept: Invalid argument

Jan 15 11:22:40 fred last message repeated 82997 times

Jan 15 11:24:40 fred last message repeated 284555 times

Can someone explain the first line.

Does the second line mean that the first line has been repeated XXX number
of times, or is it referring to something else.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron
Todd H.
2008-01-18 21:46:39 UTC
Post by Ron
Hi, I am new to UNIX so this may be a question that you have seen numerous
times.
I am running SCO-UNIX 5.02 on a Compaq Proliant 5000 sever. We are we are
running a business application on Informix. Fred is the name we gave our
server.
The server has "Panicked" a couple of times, but the dump is not
complete(ran out of space for the dump, but plenty of space on server in
each partition.
The last line on the screen before the "press any key to restart" is
"Panic Lock Timeout Lock=00000103, owner=F01C99BF
Kernel panics are bad--many times suggestive of hardware going bad.
Bad memory can cause a kernel panic, for example. Is your support
current on satan, errr SCO-UNIX? I'd definitely be giving them a call
on this if so. Or did they go out of business trying to sue the
world for IP rights to crap they didn't own?
Post by Ron
Could someone assist in deciphering this message and the one below from the
Syslog before the Panic.
I am getting the following message in the Syslog
Jan 15 11:22:10 fred lpd[332]: accept: Invalid argument
The line printer daemon lpd told syslog that something sent an
invalid argument to accept. I don't have any specific advice to
help you from there, but perhaps there are some print handling scripts
somewhere that are misconfigured. Is the number of repetitions the
number of print jobs this thing might be handling (wow) or is this
happening so often that maybe something scheduled to run very
regularly (via the cron facility) is triggering it?
Post by Ron
Jan 15 11:22:40 fred last message repeated 82997 times
Jan 15 11:24:40 fred last message repeated 284555 times
And it happened a bashitload of times.
Post by Ron
Can someone explain the first line.
Does the second line mean that the first line has been repeated XXX number
of times, or is it referring to something else.
It is referring to the lpd accept: invalid argument thang, if you've
pasted us contiguous log entries.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
2008-01-18 21:46:44 UTC
Post by Ron
Jan 15 11:22:10 fred lpd[332]: accept: Invalid argument
Jan 15 11:22:40 fred last message repeated 82997 times
Jan 15 11:24:40 fred last message repeated 284555 times
Can someone explain the first line.
Your lpd (line printer demon) strongly dislikes the argument served to
it for the accept call - use "man accept" (perhaps even "man 2 accept")
to learn more about that.
Post by Ron
Does the second line mean that the first line has been repeated XXX number
of times, or is it referring to something else.
The second line says that the line above it has been written to syslog
83000 times which is close to 3000 times a second. Two minutes later it
reports the new number. It has slowed down somewhat with only 1500
times a second for the two minutes passed.
Post by Ron
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Try disabling lpd to see if the symptom goes away.

If not, it is probably the process started after lpd but where logs have
not been written to disk before the panic occurs.
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Pat Welch
2008-01-18 22:41:21 UTC
Post by Ron
[...]
You have a very old version of SCO, ditto that machine it's running on.

You probably increased the memory some time after the initial install,
but did not re-install SCO using a larger swap area (which is where the
dump is sent to), so the full memory dump ran out of space.

It is most probably a hardware problem, either the MB or memory are the
likely suspects.

The lpd messages in syslog just indicates what program was running when
the hardware glitch occurred.

Hmm. it could be a messed up HD, with pointers in a printer spool file
pointing in an infinite loop, causing lpd to spin madly.

Have you tried running fsck -ofull while in single user mode? Did it
find anything? (don't tell it to fix anything just yet, that could make
data files unreachable that might be at least partially recovered).

You data is at a high risk - do you have good backups? What program do
you use for backing up?

You can contact me offline if you do not have a SCO support contract
with SCO or someone else. If you do have a local support company call
them immediately.
SCO Authorized Partner
Temporary number! (209) 251-7201
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120